Steve Meador is the author of Throwing Percy from the Cherry Tree, a poetry book that was an entrant for a National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize in poetry. He is widely published in online and print journals. He has been a real estate broker since the early 1980s and currently lives and practices in the Tampa, FL, area.

Friday, December 24, 2010



Today I felt like taking a walk for the first time since having my shoulders manipulated. There is still throbbing and soreness, but the warm of the late afternoon was too persuasive in its beckoning. I think the few pills I have taken for the pain made me edgy and restless, so I needed the energy expenditure. 

 There has been a big change in the color, since the freeze a couple weeks ago. It's nothing like the fall in other parts of the country, but exciting for us in Florida. Green gets old and boring. A hundred shades of green also grow boring. The sun had fallen below the treetops; light pushed through the oaks and longleaf pines, drifted past the bare limbs of the deciduous trees and placed soft emphasis on the color. So, I wrote myself a prescription for one hour of nature, for pain and mental relief. Worked great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment