Steve Meador is the author of Throwing Percy from the Cherry Tree, a poetry book that was an entrant for a National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize in poetry. He is widely published in online and print journals. He has been a real estate broker since the early 1980s and currently lives and practices in the Tampa, FL, area.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fire tower



At 9 and 10 yrs old, while voraciously reading The Hardy Boys books, I thought the greatest job in the world must be the park ranger who manned the fire lookout tower. From there I could spot criminals, solve mysteries, locate lost hikers and campers in peril. Not to mention the animals I would be able to save. My imagination was never away again, after those days of crawling inside books, coming out to a world of magical daydreaming. I felt the same way about that job through high school, when it became flip of the coin close with becoming a biology teacher. Ultimately, I found that neither would lead me to the money I hoped to earn at some point. So, instead, I got that degree in journalism. I love nature and all things connected, but the right choice was made. Still, every now and then I daydream about sitting in that tower, my keen eyes scouring the world through powerful binoculars.

No comments:

Post a Comment